|Introduction To Organic Chemistry|
Please select your correct responses for the following questions.
1. Which name is given to the part of the organic compound that determines the type of reaction it undergoes.
2. The PVC in you garden hoses and your bathroom sink pipes is a product of
a) Polymerization of alkanes
b) Oxidation of alkenes
c) Oxidation of alkanes
d) Polymerization of alkenes
3. Which of the following is not a product of the synthetic polymerization of alkenes?
b) Polystyrene bags
d) Polyvinyl chloride pipes
4. The reaction between any alkane (see digram below of ethane) and chlorine gas or bromine liquid results in the formation of an alkyl halide. Which of the following is true?
5. If KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) is added to the structure below and then heat up the solution in the presence of a base, which one of the following statements will occur?
a) the double bond will be reduced
b) the double bond will be a oxidized
c) there will be no reaction
d) another carbon will be added to the structure
6. Which of the following is correct? When alkanes undergo halogenation reaction the condition required is
7. The production of carbon monoxide in a reaction that burns with a yellow smoky flame is as a result of
8. Which of the following reaction is typical for an unsaturated hydrocarbon?
9. The flame produced by burning ethene is more sooty than that produced by ethane, because
a) Ethene has less carbon atoms
b) Ethene has a higher percentage of carbons.
c) Ethene is colourless, while ethane is not.
d) Ethane has a higher carbon to hydrogen ratio.
10. Which of the following equation is a true representation of cracking?
a) 4CH 4(g) +7O 2(g) 2CO2(g) + 8H 2O(g) + 2C0(g)
b) C 5 H 12(l) + Br 2(l) C 5 H 11 Br (l) + HBr (g)
c) C10H22(l) C8H18(l) + C2H4(g)
d) C3H6 + C3H6 C6H12
11. Which of the following is the best test for unsaturation in hydrocarbons.
12. Indicate the structure or group that is responsible for the reactivity of alkenes.
13. Which of the following statement is true.
a) Reforming is a process of alkenes where straight-chain hydrocarbons are broken up and then reassembled into branched-chain hydrocarbons.
b) Reforming is a process of alkenes where branched-chain hydrocarbons are broken up and then reassembled into straight-chain hydrocarbons.
c) Reforming is a process of alkanes where straight-chain hydrocarbons are broken up and then reassembled into branched-chain hydrocarbons.
d) Reforming is a process of alkanes where branched-chain hydrocarbons are broken up and then reassembled into straight-chain hydrocarbons.
14. The halogenation of ethane is a different type of halogenation from that of ethene because
15. Catalytic reforming is important for motor vehicle octane engine because